my way to preload images! haha
Update Coming Soon! Check out Skem9's future roadmap
Bella
Users Image
18/m
Panthers take championship

beating 19 other teams at the Powell Athletic Roundtable Invitational on Friday and Saturday. Twelve PHS wrestlers placed in the top six.,Powell High School’s wrestlers opened their season with a victory at home

“I thought we did well,”,” said PHS head coach Nate Urbach. “I was happy

As young as the team is, four juniors and 19 freshmen and sophomores., coach Urbach said he was surprised Powell won the tournament; the PHS wrestling team is comprised of only two seniors

“Thought the kids wrestled really hard,” Urbach said., it was a good tournament

Powell placed first with 261.5 points followed by Lander with 200.5, Buffalo at 152.5 points and Cody in fifth at 148.5., Natrona County in third with 190.5 points

Wright, Lovell, Rocky Mountain, Thermopolis,The other 15 schools in attendance were Riverton, Sheridan, Thunder Basin, Worland, Shoshoni, Wyoming Indian and Livingston, Dubois, Wind River, Campbell County, Greybull, Montana.

Freshman Emma Karhu placed third in the 106-pound weight class.

Urbach said that he was “cautiously optimistic, USA wrestling and in practice the last two weeks.,” about the incoming freshman after her success in middle schoolAuthentic Marian Hossa jersey

Emma Karhu met up with Brady Carey of Lander — the No. 1-ranked wrestler in the weight class in WyoPreps.com’s preseason poll — where she lost by a 4-0 decision.,In the semi-finalsAuthentic Corey Crawford jersey

Urbach said Emma Karhu wrestled tough in that semi-finals match.

” Urbach said.,Authentic Patrick Kane jerseyShe had a great tournament; I was really really happy with her

he didn’t win a match,Also wrestling at 106 pounds was sophomore Colt Nicholson, who Urbach said has improved from last season. At last year’s Powell Invite,,adidas Ryan Hartman jerseybut the lowest weight class at the high school level is 106 pounds., but this year he went 2-2 with both wins by pin. Nicholson weighs 93 pounds

Aaron Swaney took fourth.,At 113 pounds

” Urbach said. “But I saw huge improvement in just a day.”,Authentic Ryan Hartman jersey,'I was really happy with Swaney just because he’s really new at the sport

Swaney beat a wrestler on Saturday who had beaten him on Friday.adidas Patrick Roy jersey

” Urbach said.,adidas Gabriel Landeskog jerseyt’s just awesome to see a kid get better — that much better in that little bit of time

Michael Maddox, placed fifth at 120 pounds., a sophomore

“He’s getting better and better all the timeadidas Nathan MacKinnon jersey,'adding that they still need to work on some things.,” Urbach said

Maddox came in seventh at 120 pounds. Senior Brian Brazelton took fourth at 126 pounds.,In the preseason rankings

then beat that same wrestler by a major decision on Saturday.,Urbach said Brazelton was a wrestler who improved throughout the tournament as he was pinned by a wrestler from Shoshoni on Friday

“He got refocused and did the things he should do to put himself in good position,” Urbach said of Brazelton., so he had a good tournament'adidas Seth Jones jersey

Corey Linebaugh, placed fifth at 132 pounds in what the coach called “a great tournament.”, a sophomore

” Urbach said. “He’s gotten a lot better.”,“He [Linebaugh] is a tough kid — a real tough-minded kid

Junior Reese Karst took first in the 138 pound weight class and was voted as the outstanding varsity wrestler of the tournament.

” Urbach said.,“He wrestled really well

Karst was ranked first in the preseason rankings at 138 pounds.,Heading into the tournament

between Karst and Hunter Elmer of Buffalo. Karst pinned Elmer at 5:20.,The championship match was a repeat from last year’s state championship bout

Also in the 138-pound weight class were Stephen Preator, who took third, who placed fifth., and Cole Davis

Preator was ranked fourth in the preseason rankings for the 132-pound weight class. Urbach said he’s “improved a ton.”

Preator beat a Rocky Mountain opponent he’d lost to on Friday.,In the third place match

” Urbach said.,“It’s always good to see kids responding to losses and reversing them the next days

Junior Matt Jones took fourth in the 145-pound weight class. Urbach said Jones is another wrestler who showed improvement throughout the tournament and has improved drastically from where he was at this time last year.

” Urbach said of Jones. “I was impressed with him.”,“He was pretty darn solid

The championship match at 152 pounds was a showdown between PHS teammates Brody Karhu and Seth Horton.

” Urbach said.,“Both those guys had a great tournament

Horton beat the No. 2 wrestler in the state,Brody Karhu’s only loss was to a tough kid from Thermopolis, explained Urbach. Meanwhile, on Friday., Cullen Becher of Thermopolis

Horton and Brody Karhu are good friends and partners in the practice room,” Urbach said, “so that does nothing but make them better, “Steel sharpens steel and that’s what they do.”, ’cause they’re competitive, adding

The championship match went to sudden victory after the Panthers were tied at 4 after three periods. Brody Karhu won 6-4.

The preseason rankings had Horton ranked sixth at 152 pounds and Brady Karhu sixth in the 160-pound weight class. Horton was the only freshman from Powell to be ranked in the preseason rankings.

“For a freshman, he looked very,” Urbach said of Horton. “I thought he had an outstanding tournament for a freshman.”, very good'Authentic Patrick Roy jersey,

Bo Dearcorn — who ranked second in the preseason rankings — placed second at 170 pounds.adidas Marian Hossa jersey

” Urbach said.,adidas Corey Crawford jersey,“He had a really good tournament as well

Dearcorn pinned Josh Jones of Cody in the semi-finals in 2:41 — a wrestler Dearcorn went back and forth with last year.

For the championship, a senior who was picked second at 160 pounds in the preseason rankings. Atnip won by an 11-0 decision., Dearcorn met up with William Atnip of Lander,Authentic Artemi Panarin jersey,'

” Urbach said of Dearcornadidas Patrick Kane jersey,“He’s a young sophomore and he loves the sport; he puts a lot of time into it and it shows

Another wrestler who Urbach thought wrestled really well at the varsity level was Cameron Schmidt.'>Authentic Gabriel Landeskog jersey,'

” Urbach said. “He’s another guy that works real hard in the room.”,“I thought he got better throughout the tournamentAuthentic Nathan MacKinnon jersey,

Overall as a team, so I’m excited for this year and the coming years.”,adidas Artemi Panarin jersey,' Urbach said that “to be able to compete and be that young bodes well for the future

saying the improvement was an indication of his coaching.,Urbach thanked his assistant coach Nick Fulton Authentic Seth Jones jersey

The coach also thanked the Powell Athletic Roundtable, all the volunteers, Vicki Walsh and Tim Wormald — who worked behind the scenes to make sure the tournament ran smoothly., the referees and RJ Kost

” Urbach said with appreciation.,“It’s something we look forward to — something I think the community looks forward to — and we can’t do it without people volunteering

Next up for the wrestlers is the Worland Dual Invite on Friday and Saturday with start times at 12:30 p.m. on Friday and 8:30 a.m. on Saturday.

240 Cracked Out Posts